CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Candle Holder Make Over

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday, my favorite store in the world! I always browse the clearance aisle since you can find some great items that normally have nothing wrong with them. I found some drawer pulls that have made me want to remodel out downstairs bathroom, now just to talk the hubby into it! I also found a candle holder that I thought had great potential. It didn't have anything wrong with it, just wasn't my style.This is what I started out with.
I had intentions of taking the decorative pieces off the sides and then putting them back on, but apparently they weren't meant to be put back on.
Then I gathered all of my supplies:
Modge Podge.
I thought I would use spray adhesive, but then changed my mind.
Natural twine or other type of ribbon.
X-Acto knife.
2 pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper.
Foam Brush.
Dark Walnut Stain.
I started out by slapping some Modge Podge on one side of the holder. I didn't start the paper on the corner, but about an inch from the corner. Continue to work around the holder. It will come to look like this.
Cut your second piece of paper to 8x12. I folded the sides in so that it would look a little cleaner, but you don't have to do this. When done wrapping the paper around, cut slits at the corners so that you can fold them down. I folded 2 pieces down, and then on the other 2 pieces folded them in to make an angle so that it would be a cleaner look. Like this:
You might need an extra hand in there :)

Now do the same with the top and cut out the opening as you go.

You will end up with something that looks like this. Put 2 to 3 coats of Modge Podge to seal it all.
I thought it was missing something and didn't look quite like I had hoped for it to. I went and got my stain, yes the same stain I used for the paint chip canvas. I rubbed it on with a some paper towels until I got the look I wanted. Then I added my twine, put some black beans (yes you read that right!) in the candle holder part, and added a tea light. I LOVE the way it looks now.
Total cost: $2.49!

You are probably thinking that you will not find something like this at your store, but you never know! I also got to thinking that you could use a 4x4 post and cut it different lengths to make a grouping, which I am already planning to do! I will enlist my husband to drill some holes in the top for the candle holders! You could also use this to plant a small plant in! I was going to try this out but was too lazy to hike out to the shed in the snow to try and find a pot and potting soil.

No comments: